The Oxford dictionary describes “culture” as the ideas, customs, and social behavior of particular people or the society in general. Work culture is the behavior of a group of people within a work environment; such as a team, department, or the organization as a whole. It is created through the behavior of everyone working in an organization, from the CEO to the entry-level employees.
Positive Work Culture is one that prioritizes the well-being of employees, offers support at all levels within the organization, and has policies in place that encourage respect, trust, empathy, and support.
It can be viewed in all angles in that, it can be physical, mental or emotional. When the work culture is right, employees are happy and motivated to be part of the team: and happy employees are productive employees as they can defy all odds.
Benefits of Creating a Positive Culture at the Workplace
- Knowledge and experience are shared between employees which in turn improves efficiency, productivity, and performance.
- Job satisfaction, collaboration, and work performance are all enhanced.
- The employee turnover rate is low as people enjoy being in a conducive work environment.
- It enhances the company’s reputation thus attracting more prospective customers/clients.
- It helps to promote the mental well-being of an employee thus mitigating the risk of work related stress which can prompt employees to have emotional outbursts.
- Ensures that employees are flexible as they are able to deliver on time and in an efficient manner to avoid last minute confusion or even failure to achieve the needed targets.
Ways of Promoting Positive Work Culture at the Workplace
- By implementing clear expectations for workforce behavior and having a clear system of discipline for misconduct and behavior inconsistent with core values
- By encouraging open communication, transparency, and respect amongst the employees.
- By promoting diversity awareness and defining inclusive behavior matters in creating and sustaining a positive culture.
- By promoting the company’s mission, vision, and objectives.
By treating everyone with equity to ensure they all feel heard, feel and understood.